Entries for our Poetry Contest

Entry 1


Wandering through the wicked wood,
I found the space in which she stood.

The branches wept and burning bent,
While licking flames and leaves lament.

Disguises gaunt and gleeful glow,
They feast their eyes on fearsome foe.

A senseless death on dismal day,
The blood price which ‘false’ prophets pay.

Entry 2


On the old dirt road,
all is calm,
all is bright.
A stand of cat-tails recovers from yesterday’s bent,
telling me which way the wind went.
Browning fronds dip down,
drawing degrees of their deaths from the snow.
Nothing here for anyone, really.
Nor for feather, fur, or fin.
Here I stopped for an insistent bladder.
With that taken care of, I turn to go,
but stay instead, for a moment or two.
If my party friends could see me now,
they might say
“there he goes with his mooning daydreams”.
It’s a peculiar time, a pausing time, a settling time.
All that has been, and all that will be
seem to have met at this nexus.
A thing, put off through doubt,
is affirmed, and I nod,
to no one in particular.
From my backseat toolbox, I grab some scissors.
Cat-tails.
She always liked them.
But these are not the pencil ones.
And they are dead.

Entry 3


Curtain of night
pinned with stars
crickets serenading a dancing breeze

Water wafting wilfully
on slime-smoothed stones
singing songs of appease

A lilting song
picking pirouetting petals
from fragrant frangipani trees

Intoxicated spirit
quietly redolent of the Highest Call
Enamoured Soul on its knees!

Entry 4


A light once bright-
Now grows dim
Shrinking as darkness slowly creeps in.

It’s sad to see
A light so strong
Succumb to fear and self-doubt.

Can she be saved?
Or is she too far gone?
Only the coming dawn will tell.

Will light overtake the dark?
Or will night become her eternal realm?
The time is near, to see just where she will dwell.

Entry 5


What right have I
To complain and cry
On the bed which I lie
With every thought I deny
All the gushing breathes and then sigh

What right do I have
With my journal on my calve
Being divided into a halve
With writing being my only salve

What right do I get
To go and throw this fit
And hate myself with every bit
Then feel like complete shit
Has my flame not been lit

What right this time
As I go and write a terrible rhyme
Hearing the bells chime
My head being covered with grime
And feeling as though I’ve committed a crime

What right has passed me by
With the dark thoughts I ally
Desiring to go out and fly
But I can’t even try
As I stare at the sky
With nothing on standby
Hoping one day I’ll untie
This pitiful outcry

Entry 6


Dream sweet, the stars lit up
with sparks and the moon watches over you as you sleep.
Don't fear, the darkness only lasts a few hours as you sleep by.
Dream sweet, memory won't last unless you share it with a friend.
Don't fear, the moon and the stars will go and let the sun start a new day.
Dream sweet, you will wake up and smile as the sun fills your room with love.

Entry 7


I didn't know,
The hold you'd have,
From the first hello,
To the last okay.

You weren't what I expected,
But I think we both knew,
There was something between us,
But then it turned blue.

Entry 8


The Stars draw life in the heavens.
They shine across the ever expansive void,
a love letter to a friend far from home

Earth's tallest trees reach wanting arms up to the sky.
She turns and turns as if afraid to miss a single note.

Cosmic lovers forever separated by the space between.

Entry 9


The mad lab men came again today.
They looked all round the room,
Saw our faces,
Wrinkled and torn,
Taped to our heads,
So twisted and worn

They smiled anyways.
“Today’s the day,”
They said.
“We’ve finally done it,
Made a machine,
And the future is writ
No more life for you fiends,
Your throats to be slit,
The oily blood from you
Caught in our mits
And brought
To feed our new machine.”

We turned our faces in wonder,
Wanting to ponder for longer,
Scrunching our faces,
Wrinkled and torn,
Taped to our heads,
So twisted and worn.

And we knew then,
That beast had been born,
And we were out with the old then.
Our page in history,
Scorched with the scorn.

Entry 10


In the days of forests and rivers
the mountains rose unchallenged
or so they thought
but nefarious enemies pecked away
the wind, heard but not seen

Rain and river carved each day
endlessly created chasms
removing granite as if
it had never been

Volcano's in their midst
exploding, shattering asunder
boiling slopes with lava
reshaping and rebuilding
and the forests came and went
turned it from grey to green

Finally harmony or perhaps
a slowing
seasons could breathe
but then man and soon enough
machine

Now the mountains tremble
the future unknown
the question must be asked
what can it all mean

Entry 11


I'm waiting patiently in this cosmic sea.
Waiting for something that might not exist.
I know I exist.
Maybe I'm the only one that does exist.
I eat planets and breath supernovas.
I drink the souls of suns.
Where ever we are from they want us back.
But here I am looking for anything, Anyone.
Hopeless romance for a star kid.

Entry 12


There was never a love with a fire so bright, a woman so beautiful, she could burn up the night.

Our paths crossed, two souls that were lost, and yearning for a love no matter the cost.

I found her and she found me, a love that we knew that could never be.

But our passion was fire each and every night, and my dreams were of her when I turned out the light.

She set me free with her love and devotion, and for her I would climb mountains and swim oceans.

I knew she was my everything in every way, as I held her love tight in the bed where I lay.

We shared love, passion and laughter, and we left nothing to ever chase after.

Two bodies molded together, with two souls that were bonded forever.

But truth was our enemy, the sorcerer of pain, and with it, it brought a curse to our eternal flame.

Like two things that could never be together, like the bottom of the cold ocean that will never feel warm weather.

She is so real in the world where I exist,
but I will never feel her warm skin or her soft kiss.

But you will always be here in my heart and my mind, the girl that burned brighter than any through time.

Entry 13


Imagine the peace
of living among the status quo.
Tranquility and comfort
as you merge into the whole.
Pain erupts with nonconformity
Eyes are blinded by the truth.
Ignorance is bliss they say, and so is the circle of a group.
Square points pierce the soul
When one realizes they can’t go in smooth.
Pegs are not meant to sleep
And neither are you.

Entry 14


I have never really known love,
I may never know it at all.

I've known lust and the stuff
My mind used to fill up the wall

Between the body in bed
And the one in my head.

Some of the lies lasted for years,
And ended in phoneboxes flooded with tears.

Whenever anyone ran I stood still.

I have never really known love,
I don't think I ever will.

Entry 15


My heart’s about to derail
These feelings are difficult to unveil
But let’s make a deal
For one night, your heart I’ll steal
Your charm does amaze
My soul is in a daze
I finally hold you nigh
My elation is flying in the sky
My knees are trembling and quaking
I caress your cheek as my hands are shaking
I’m here to wrest your fears
As I’m whispering my emotions into your ears
These feelings I won’t fight
You’ll be treasured through the night
Our caressing lips ignite the desire
As we ensconce our yearnings, we smolder the fire
I’ll remember this moment until the end of time
When our souls will finally be able to rhyme
Until then I’ll be your shoulder the minute you weep
And my chest will be your pillow while you sleep

Entry 16


My boots won’t shine up how they used to.

Worn away like the innocent grin I wore on my face then.

Torn, with holes and over used; twin to my heart since you refused to see my love.

They lean in and keep me off balance, no support left to hold me steady.

There are aches that grow with every step and remind me that life is about pain, never easy.

But these boots are the set I’ve been given, there is no replacement for them in any store.

I just wish I could shine them up once more, pretend and remember when I was yours.

Entry 17


I gotta soft spot right here, here, and here for you. I'm hoping you like them so I can give them to you. It'll make you strong and build you up.

Come on and try them I bet you'll never get enough. Take my hand and I'll walk you into my wonderland it’s my place of joy.

My dear don't be scared come here. I gift you my mind and all my time. Be creative with me we will construct worlds to conquer and kingdoms to rule.

You will never be bored there will always be something to do. Take my body and we won't ever stop. Our dance will be a show that will last always.

My heart, my mind, and my body all have a soft spot and I gladly share them. It's all for you.

Entry 18


I peered out the window and saw debris flying through the air.
 I knew that I didn’t have a moment to spare.
Then I heard the sound of a freight train,
along with powerful winds and heavy rain.
In just a few seconds the tornado was here.
I held on tight, but I was no match for something so severe.
The next thing I knew I was hit in the head.
It knocked me unconscious, and I thought I was dead.
It sucked me up into the sky.
I suffered a terrible beating while in the eye.
Then the tornado threw me on the ground,
it was a miracle that I was found.
Cut up, bruised and dripping in blood,
they finally discovered me covered in mud.
My face was swollen beyond recognition,
so they rushed me to the nearest physician.
Dazed and confused, my clothes ripped to a shred.
I didn’t know what was ahead.
Moments later, I noticed my house wasn’t there.
Just a pile of debris and a feeling of despair.
A victim of Mother Nature and its fury.
I could barely see because my eyes were so blurry.
Later, I was told how far away,
the tornado had carried me and left everyone in dismay.

Entry 19


As a lover, the sea is good.
He drowns me effortlessly,
Fathoms deep and
Leagues wide;
I am all-at-once
until
He banks - and breaks in foam
and spreads out, sated,
across the sand,
sighs his mighty rumble,
and curls back in on me
to sleep.

Entry 20


I want to read you in the dark, past curfew
Beneath a tent of sheets, under the glow of my fingertips
I want to claim the nouns and verbs and adjectives of your skin
Your most private parts of speech
To erase all thought
And fill your pages with stories of me

I want to make you change color
To incite your enticing ruddiness
Unseen but heard in every hitch of breath
Felt in every tremor
And tasted in each pilgrimage of tongue

I want to bask in your exquisite heat
Then flip you over like a pillow to find your cool side
And press flesh to flesh
Until we find delirious equilibrium
And become one ravenous creature

I want to feast upon you at this table
To gorge upon the sacred banquet of your hunger
To pluck your salty-sweet vine-ripened need
Trace your boughs and tendrils to its taproot-source
And drink you down
Then offer you my cup to fill you up with me

There is no world outside our yielding altar
There is no past, no future, only this
Our languid bacchanal
This gentle evisceration, imperfect and real
My one-horned god, my sacrifice
Hung upon the World Tree
To die
And rise again

Entry 21


Mountains are denuded into memories
Of rock, where species seem to disappear,
And reappear strategically hidden
Between the laminates of eonfolds
Diagenetically encoding the past.
But these are the fatal imperfections,
Bereft of cementation they crumble,
Layered with silicate detritis, or glass,
These bedlines become fissures for cleavage.
Large beds are the best working surfaces,
With ample room in glinting hardened seas
Of bright feldspar and some stolen sunlight,
With pleasant give, claws that dig deep and true,
With bolsters pitching against the lines.

Entry 22


oh body all I wish for is to love you
Ever so deeply and whole heartedly
to look at you and admire
the flaws;
Marks,
Burns
And scars

I crave a motherly love for you, body
I wish I could gaze upon you and see you for what you are inside, on the out as well
To see stunning beauty, to see a form that is muse worthy

Entry 23


We come in
Free of sin.

We go out
Full of doubt.

In between
We mark our slate
And try, too late,
To wipe it clean

Entry 24


I will help you to the shore
If you just ask me
I will let you go
If you need me to
But you will always
Remember
My love was like ocean
Too deep
Too big
To be contain within me

Entry 25


The raw flesh is gummy,
My teeth tear and tear without much leeway
Gummy like bad calamari-
Like bubblegum without the satisfaction
It gets worse with every chew- Wishing it will end
You can’t spit it out
Chew it fool
Before it chews you

Entry 26


Lines drawn, not crossed,
in sands of time.
Societal standards, not yet defined.
The threat of progress, takes its toll.
You live your life, yet lack control.
Hands wrapped tightly,
though frayed by law.
You march for freedom,
I watch in awe.
To see such hate, reversed to love.
Though change must come,
through push and shove.
You ask so little, a home, a place.
The world’s true ignorance,
the worst disgrace.
To live a life, defined by love.
While others fear wrath from above.
Choose broken barriers,
shape your own fate.
Just welcome all.
Choose joy, not hate.

Entry 27


I was fine on my own,

Guess it wouldn’t be life if that didn’t change.

Now I have you.

Entry 28


Eyes burn at the skull.
How happy they seem.
These lips remain silent.
A wilted flower with dreams.
The demons are calling.
A pedastal of my making.
Bathed atop my fears.
A smile I dread faking.
Memory may hate you.
Past pains may kill.
But we're in this together.
We'll all share the bill.